Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Chicken

So since I was first exposed to the Miller Family there have been some really interesting family traditions I have participated in. Christmas Eve is one of them. All of the family gets together and the kids buy gift for each other and the adults play the infamous "White Elephant" game. I truly hate this game! I hate steeling from someone, I hate buying a gift for it just in case it is one of those gifts that gets that response like "ooo, too bad you got stuck with that one", etc. And most of all I get major anxiety over what DJ brings. Previous years he has brought outrageous items and this year was nothing less. He wrapped some enormous saw that was about 100 pounds and put it in the middle of his poor Aunts living room. It was larger than all of the other gifts combined and weighed as much as a small child. Anyways, of course here I am anxious over who is going to get stuck with this awful gift and DJ by my side snickering. By this time I just want to get my turn over and finish the game. DJ's Aunt Rose is so sweet and sitting next to me this last year. She goes to pick and chooses "The Chicken". This ugly chicken has been making a yearly appearance since I started attending Christmas Eve with the Millers. So what do I do..... I "steel" the chicken from her because I figure someone has got to put an end to this. Plus Maya will get some enjoyment out of it. At this point I am feeling good, my turn is over and Aunt Rose didn't get stuck with the chicken. Oh no, my friends, its far from over. Because I stole the chicken from Aunt Rose it is now her time to choose another gift. What do you think she goes for? Any guesses? That's right, the stupid hideous saw that DJ brought. Now I feel even more awful and wish that I would have just let her hold on to the chicken. We ended up giving her spare gift that was in the car and taking home not only big ole saw but the chicken as well.

Point to the story.....Maya loves the chicken. If you push the wing of the chicken it sings the chicken song and if you squeeze the neck of it the chicken's eyes pop out. Its hours of entertainment let me tell you!

Attempting to crawl

Maya and "the chicken"

trying to make the eyes pop out

No comments: