Friday, September 18, 2009

Our Family Annual Ocean Trip

It has been tradition in our family to take an annual ocean trip to Sandpiper resort on Pacific Beach. We have tried very hard to keep this tradition going but for the past 4 years we have been unsuccessful. Well, we have revived the Sandpiper trip!

Me, DJ and Maya headed out Thursday morning. We were planning on visiting DJ's grandparents in Westport but his grandma had a few doctors appointments she needed to go to. We were disappointed but we made the most out of it and headed out to Pacific Beach. When we got there we checked in and got our room keys. After we unpacked we headed for the beach. There is something so calming and peaceful about the ocean. I could sit outside for hours and do nothing and be perfectly content. Maya and I sat on the beach while DJ built us a castle. We all chatted and had fun laughing and being together. Its moments like this I will always cherish. We went back up to the room and put Maya down. She was totally exhausted from the trip. DJ and I cracked open a bottle of wine and a puzzle. Do we sound like an old couple or what? It was so much fun. I don't think him and I have laughed that hard in awhile. I love that we love each other!

It felt so great to be there! Maya is finally getting familiar with the water and sand combo so we were actually able to put her down and have her walk on the beach unlike last time. Baby Steps!

On Friday morning we woke up, my family who is always fashionably late was still not there. We decided to take a drive so that Maya could take a little morning nap. We took the highway to the Indian reservation and drove around. There were a lot of fisherman out there collecting their nets. It was so beautiful out, it looked like a scene from a movie. After the drive we headed back to get some lunch and head back out to the beach. Early afternoon is when the family started to arrive. Preston and Nay Nay just went for it on the beach and were playing in the sand and water right away. Maya just sat back and observed! :) Early evening rolled around and we went back upstairs to the rooms to hang with family and slowly make dinner. DJ made his famous Spaghetti, Mama made a salad, bread and dessert and Aunt Renee made her Chicken Parmesan. The whole meal was GREAT!

Saturday we woke up and had breakfast. It was a community breakfast so each member of the family brought a little something to offer. Afterwards the guys took off to a little local bar called the Green Lantern and Maya and I took a much needed nap. After we woke up we went on the beach to fly kites and hang out. Saturday night was Mexican food followed by a lively game of Balderdash (which we also played the night before). I think this is my favorite picture of the whole trip. My baby girl dancin' on the beach. So carefree and full of life. I love her SO much!

Daddy built me and Maya our castle....so sweet! Sunday morning was breakfast put on by the grandkids and Mima, we all took a family picture ( hopefully Britt will send me a copy) and then we all headed home.

It was a wonderful weekend! Our family loves being at the ocean....cant wait for next year!

Maya cant wait either!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute!! I am glad you guys had fun. Maya is getting so big! I love you all.

The Hill's said...

Looking at her makes me realize what I am missing....She is getting so big now!! I just want to hold her and never let go...it is so hard not being able to be the Auntie I want to be....So, happy you all had fun!! =)